The website is organized according to the theme for each listening materials types. There are a few types or sections – View, Mixer, Game, News, Videos, Scenes and etc. Each section provides lists of listening materials. You can click on a topic and it will link you to a Listening Lesson. The listening lesson comprises the multimedia, free mp3 files, transcription, vocabulary tasks, language notes and many more. Learners are not only having the access to the listening materials but also the tasks. They can do the listening activity online. Even more, they can easily download the listening materials together with the listening activity if they were to do the practice some other time on their computer without having to use the internet.
Learners between 13 to 17 years old might benefit from this website and they might find Elllo interesting and easy to carry out because of the well organization and layout as well as the variety of topics offered.
Here I am showing one example of the listening activity. The topic I chose is 'Boys Camp'. It has an audio clip for the listening, the transcription, audio slide show, vocabulary focus and the comprehension questions.
Why I should recommend Elllo to learners?
- Elllo offers numerous listening materials which are recorded by the people from the different parts of the world. Hence the English used by the speakers in the audio or video clips are differing in accents. Learners can learn the differences between native speakers and non-native speakers’ uses of English.
- The advantage of using authentic materials in learning language is learners can adapt how the language is used in the real world situation.
- The variety of topics including culture surrounding which learners can choose to complement their personal interests in additional to their knowledge. This is also a good example of integrating content in language learning.
- Encourage autonomous learning as learners can do all the activities outside the classroom without the help from the teacher.
- Learners are exposed to different types of text which require them to engage with different language skills (listening, writing, reading, vocabulary). It offers learners the opportunity to learn and practice the skills.
- Enriched with vocabulary - vocabulary enhancement in terms of pronunciation and information on how to use the words correctly.
- Provide learners with the reason for listening so that they can complete the tasks afterwards.
- It is free to download all the contents and it is legal to copy and distribute the materials for educational purposes.
Some limitations to this tool:
- The videos cannot be downloaded. You can only download the mp3 files of the listening materials.
- The website sometimes corrupts and when it happens, it changes the layout, loses all the images and might result in discouraging learners to continue using the tool.
- The advertisements on the page are sometimes distracting. I get confused between the video for the listening material and the ads video.
Nevertheless, I would still recommend this website for learners to improve their English language uses and skills.